- This event has passed.
State Bar of Texas IP Section Scholarship
The Intellectual Property Law Section of the State Bar of Texas will award two $5,000 scholarships to eligible law students. Any student enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school in Texas during any part of the application submission period may apply. Students who have been accepted to law school but have not yet started classes at the time the application is filed are not eligible. Students who have graduated at the time the scholarship is awarded are eligible.
The purpose of the scholarships is to encourage law students who have not traditionally been represented in the Intellectual Property practice to enter the Intellectual Property profession in Texas by providing financial assistance to help defray the expenses of a law-school education. Selection criteria for the scholarships include but are not limited to:
- Scholastic merit;
- Financial need;
- Membership in a socio-economic group traditionally under-represented in the practice;
- Demonstrated experience and interest in the practice;
- Texas roots;
- First generation in a family to go to college or law school;
- Science and engineering undergraduate education or experience;
- Contributions to or participation in minority or diversity programs;
- Community service; and
- Extracurricular activities both inside and outside law school, including legal externships or internships in the field of Intellectual
This application should be completed and returned either by (1) mail to the IP Section’s Diversity Scholarship Committee, c/o Chris Joe, Buether Joe & Carpenter, LLC, 1700 Pacific, Suite 4750, Dallas, TX 75201 or (2) email to Chris Joe at Chris.Joe@BJCIPLaw.com (entire applications only (e.g., applications including the recommendations, essays, and transcripts)).
This application form is available online here and at www.texasbariplaw.org or from the student’s law school’s Financial Aid or Dean’s office. Applications must be postmarked or emailed by no later than May 1, 2019. The scholarships will be awarded on or before June 2019. The recipients will be recognized at an IP Section event or at the IP Section’s next Annual Meeting.
Please print or type in black ink.